JOIN US ON SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 22ND FOR SOCCER SATURDAY!
Welcome to ELM
WELCOME TO THE YEAR OF THE PANTHER’S REIGN
Last year ELM returned to its traditional mascot – the Panther – and what a year it was! Steady growth in enrollment allowed ELM to truly excel academically and in other areas, notably sports. For the second year in a row, ELM sent a team to participate in the VANAS Middle School Boys Soccer Tournament (hosted at Escuela Campo Alegre in Caracas). While I am proud of the boys’ athletic prowess (they placed 4th out of 5 teams competing) my proudest moment was when the host school’s Director announced that ELM had won the team trophy for Sportsmanship!
In May we held a graduation ceremony for our 4 seniors. The keynote speaker was Mr. Jeffrey Beller, Petroleum Attaché from the US Embassy in Caracas, and the teacher who delivered the graduation message was departing Math and Science teacher, Trudy Crossbourne. Our seniors headed off to college in Argentina, Venezuela, and the United States, leaving us proud.
This year at ELM you will see:
- A strong focus on ACTIVE, CREATIVE, PARTICIPATORY activities in all classrooms, especially in Science as teachers take advantage of our new science lab
- Continued use of ELM’s multi-age, mastery-based flexible grouping system which has helped us transition many non-native English speakers into our program successfully, while also allowing us to challenge our highest-performing students
- Additional Mathematics and Science offerings in Upper School
- The addition of classes in Venezuelan Geography, Drafting and Composition to the Upper School Curriculum
- The continuation of school-wide Monday Reading Madness, a program that allows interaction across grade levels in Reading
- A broadselection of extracurricular activities (including homework assistance and focused academic support) for our growing student body
- The addition of extra Physical Education classes in Lower School